The EDI 850
is a Purchase Order transaction set, used to place an order for goods or services. The 850 generally provides the same information you would find in a paper Purchase Order (PO) document, including:
- Item, prices and quantities ordered
- Shipping details
- Payment terms
Simply accepting an EDI 850 from your trading partner is usually not sufficient for full EDI compliance. Most trading partners will expect other EDI transactions from you in response to the purchase order such as:
- EDI 997 Functional Acknowledgement - to confirm receipt of the EDI 850
- EDI 810 Invoice – to replace the traditional paper-based invoice
- EDI 856 Advance Ship Notice – to describe the contents of each shipment and how items were packed.
You might also be asked to trade additional documents for full compliance. These may include:
- EDI 855 Order Acknowledgement – sent in response to the EDI 850 to confirm you can meet the requirements set in the purchase order
- EDI 860 Order Change Request – sent to request an update to the details on the original purchase order
For assistance meeting the requirements of your trading partners in the most effective and efficient manner, look to 1EDISource. Our Professional Services
team can help you develop an approach to address your needs for security, communications protocols, transaction formats, as well as integration issue and more. Contact 1EDISource
to discuss your situation.
ISA*01*0000000000*01*ABCCO *12*4405197800 *01*999999999 *101127*1719*U*00400*000003438*0*P*>
TD5*A*92*P3**SEE XYZ RETAIL ROUTING GUIDE
N3*31875 SOLON RD
This X12 Transaction Set contains the format and establishes the data contents of the Purchase Order Transaction Set (850) for use within the context of an Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) environment. The transaction set can be used to provide for customary and established business and industry practice relative to the placement of purchase orders for goods and services. This transaction set should not be used to convey purchase order changes or purchase order acknowledgment information.